HHG Meeting Minutes and Agendas

Agenda for July meeting - 4th July 2017 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 6.6.17
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Visit to The Gardens - DH/JC/AB
    2. Old Butchery for Village Voice
    3. Hoxne Wood - MS
    4. Heritage Sunday - MS
    5. Depperhaugh/old maps - PR
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
    1. Banham Walls subgroup meeting JC/CP
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Witchcraft poster - AB
    2. Wallpaper talk date - CP
    3. George Raynor - KK
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Date of next meeting
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB - GT

Agenda for June meeting - 6th June 2017 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 9.5.17
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Geophys on meadow - JC/PR
    2. Visit to Park House - YH
    3. Old Butchery for Village Voice
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
    1. Banham Walls subgroup meeting JC/CP
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Witchcraft - AB
    2. Wallpaper - CP
    3. Home Front - (contact with CB) DH
    4. George Raynor - KK
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Date of next meeting
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB - GT
  2. Kerrison's epaulets
  3. Tannington carriage ride MS

Agenda for May meeting - 9th May 2017 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 11.4.17
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Geophys on meadow - MS
    2. Visit to Park House - YH
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
    1. Banham Walls subgroup meeting JC/CP
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Witchcraft - AB
    2. Wallpaper - CP
    3. Home Front - CB
    4. Any other talks
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Date of next meeting
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB - GT
  2. Kerrison's epaulets
  3. Tannington carriage ride MS

Agenda for April meeting - 11th April 2017 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 28.2.17
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Old Slaughterhouse photos - DH
    2. Spare bulb for projector - DR
    3. Geophys on meadow - MS
    4. Visit to Park House - YH
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
    1. Banham Walls subgroup meeting JC/CP
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Witchcraft - AB
    2. Wallpaper - CP
    3. Home Front - CB
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Date of next meeting
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB - GT
  2. Kerrison's epaulets
  3. Tannington carriage ride MS

Agenda for February meeting - 28th February 2017 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 17.1.17
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Old Slaughterhouse photos - DH
    2. Spare bulb for projector - DR
    3. PS's meadow availability - MS
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Witchcraft
    2. Wallpaper
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Date of next meeting
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Kerrison's epaulets
  3. Tannington carriage ride


Agenda of the AGM of Hoxne Heritage Group - 17th January 2017

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last AGM 19.1.16
  3. Matters arising
  4. Chairman's Report
  5. Treasurer's Report
  6. Election of officers
    1. Chairperson
    2. Vice Chairperson
    3. Secretary
    4. Treasurer
    5. Committee members (at least 5 to 8)


Agenda for January meeting - 17th January 2017 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 8.11.16
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Old Slaughterhouse photos JC
    2. General Kerrison's epaulets - JC
    3. Conduit head in Oakley Park - MS
    4. Spare bulb for projector - DR
    5. Photo of man in Hoxne - MS
    6. Tom Licence new project and Village Voice - MS
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
  6. Future talks/events
  7. Suggestions to host SLHC focus day
  8. Members' reports
  9. Any Other Business
  10. Date of next meeting 14th February 2017 - NB Valentine's Day
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride


Agenda for November meeting - 8th November 2016 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 11.10.16
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Old Slaughterhouse article AB/JC
    2. General Kerrison's epaulets - BC response.
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Feedback from SLHC Societies Day
    2. Feedback from Tom Licence Talk
    3. Feedback from Peter West Display
    4. Future talks
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Date of next meeting 13th December (party)
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride


Agenda for October meeting - 11th October 2016 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 13.9.16
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Old Slaughterhouse article AB/JC
    2. General Kerrison's epaulets - BC response.
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
    1. Hole Farm
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Reminder about Peter West displays on Thursday at Brome and Oakley Hall
    2. Arrangements for Nov 1st talk - projector and screen needed plus help to set-up and clear up etc.
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Date of next meeting 8th November tbc.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride


Agenda for September meeting - 13th September 2016 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 9.8.16
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Old Slaughterhouse article AB/JC
    2. Join Wiki - feedback
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Publicity for Nov 1st talk
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting tbc.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride


Agenda for August meeting - 9th August 2016 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 12.7.16
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Doreen Weller interview PR
    2. Old Slaughterhouse article AB/JC
    3. Kerrison's article PR
    4. Join Wiki - feedback
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
  6. Future talks/events
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting tbc.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride


Agenda for July meeting - 12th July 2016 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 14.6.16
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Change booking venue for Nov. meeting JC
    2. Doreen Weller interview PR
    3. Permissioin to post sale details PR
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
  6. Future talks/events
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting 9th August 2016 tbc.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride


Agenda for June meeting - 14th June 2016 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 3.5.16
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Timeline update SJ Pond
    2. Doreen Weller interview
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
    1. Hoxne Hall Lodge
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Sarah Doig talk - feedback
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
    1. Find from Brian Goddard
  9. Time and date of next meeting 12th July tbc.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride
  4. Old postcards - now returned


Agenda for May meeting - 3rd May 2016 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 19.4.16
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Timeline update SJ Pond
    2. Doreen Weller interview
    3. Victorian rubbish
    4. Basque children
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Sarah Doig talk
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting 14th June tbc.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride
  4. Old postcards


Agenda for April meeting - 19th April 2016 at The Swan PH, Hoxne at 7.30pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 8.3.16
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Timeline update SJ Pond
    2. Doreen Weller interview
    3. Victorian rubbish
    4. Update on outstanding issues
  4. Heritage Sunday
  5. Meeting times/days
  6. Treasurer's report JC
  7. Project committee
  8. Future talks/events
    1. Sarah Doig talk
    2. Tom Licence talk
    3. Suggestions for future talks - Basque children
  9. Members' reports
  10. Any Other Business
  11. Time and date of next meeting 10th May tbc.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride
  4. Old postcards


Agenda for March meeting - 8th March 2016 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 7.45pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 16.2.16
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Timeline update
    2. Doreen Weller interview
  4. Heritage Sunday
  5. Feedback from Francis Young talk
  6. Treasurer's report JC
  7. Project committee
  8. Future talks/events
    1. Victorian rubbish
    2. Suggestions for future talks
  9. Members' reports
    1. SLHC meeting
  10. Any Other Business
  11. Time and date of next meeting 12th April tbc.
Please let PR/DR know if attending and send apologies to MS.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride
  4. Old postcards


Agenda for February meeting - postponed to 16th February 2016 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 7.45pm.

PLease remember £7 subs if not paid up.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 19.1.16
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Timeline update PR
    2. Heritage Sunday
  4. Feedback from meeting 28/1
  5. Treasurer's report JC
  6. Project committee
  7. Future talks/events
    1. Arrangements for 27th February
    2. Suggestions for future talks
  8. Members' reports
  9. Any Other Business
  10. Time and date of next meeting 8th March tbc.
Please let PR/DR know if attending and send apologies to MS.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride
  4. Old postcards


Agenda for January meeting - 19th January 2016 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 7.45pm.

PLease remember that subs are due at this meeting.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 17.11.15
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. SLHC Societies day - n.b. date is 5.3.16 MS
    2. Harriet Pentney article PR
    3. Christmas event
    4. Village Voice MS
    5. Personality Portraits CB
    6. Village Sign
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Arrangements for 28th January
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting 9th February tbc.
Please let PR/DR know if attending and send apologies to MS.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride
  4. Church display - palaeography
  5. Old postcards


Agenda of the AGM of Hoxne Heritage Group, Gissing Farmhouse, South Green. 19th Jan., 2016 at 7.45pm.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last AGM 10.1.15
  3. Matters arising
  4. Chairman's Report
  5. Treasurer's Report
  6. Election of officers
    1. Chairperson
    2. Vice Chairperson
    3. Secretary
    4. Treasurer
    5. Committee members (at least 3)

Agenda for November meeting - 17th November 2015 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 7.45pm.

n.b.Start time!

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 13.10.15
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Church floral display article CP
    2. Blog position PR
    3. AOS Report MS
    4. Reg Baxter MS
    5. Christmas event
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee
  6. Future talks/events
  7. Village sign
  8. Members' reports
  9. Clive Baxter to address group
  10. Venue for future meetings
  11. Any Other Business
  12. Time and date of next meeting 13th December tbc.
Please let PR/DR know if attending and send apologies to MS.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride
  4. Church display - palaeography
  5. Old postcards


Agenda for October meeting - 13th October 2015 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 8pm.


  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 15.9.15
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Rosemary Hoppitt's talk
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee SM
  6. Future talks/events
  7. Members' reports
  8. Venue for future meetings
  9. Any Other Business
  10. Time and date of next meeting 10th November tbc.
Please let PR/DR know if attending and send apologies to MS.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride
  4. Church display - palaeography
  5. Old postcards
  6. Floral display


Agenda for September meeting - 15th September 2015 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 8pm.

The regular meeting will be preceeded by a talk on deer parks by Dr Rosemary Hoppitt.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 11.8.15
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. SLHC meetings MS
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee CP
  6. Future talks/events
  7. Members' reports
  8. Venue for future meetings
  9. Any Other Business
  10. Time and date of next meeting 13th October tbc.
It is essential to let PR/DR know if attending asap as the room will have to be arranged to accommodate the speaker and a/v equipment. Please take own refreshments.
Outstanding issues.
  1. Interviews AB
  2. Website- Peter West books etc.
  3. Tannington carriage ride
  4. Church display - palaeography
  5. Old postcards
  6. Floral display


Agenda for August meeting - 11th August 2015 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 8pm.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 14.7.15
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews AB GT/DR
    2. Website- Peter West books etc. GT
    3. Tannington carriage ride MS/GT
    4. Suffolk Local History Group MS
    5. Church display JC
    6. Old postcards MS
    7. Floral display NC
    8. Newspaper cutting PR
    9. Edward Martin walk
    10. Old Butcher's shop
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee CP/PR
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Francis Young NC
  7. Format of future meetings
  8. Members' reports
  9. Any Other Business
  10. Time and date of next meeting 8th September tbc.
Please remember to let PR/DR know if attending and take own refreshments.

Agenda for July meeting - 14th July 2015 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 8pm.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 16.6.15
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews AB GT
    2. Website- Peter West books etc. GT
    3. Audio Trail leaflets
    4. Tannington carriage ride MS/GT
    5. Suffolk Local History Group MS
    6. The Potter family PR
    7. Church display MS/CP/PR
    8. Old postcards MS
    9. Last of Old England link PR
    10. Floral display NC
    11. Red Feather Club MS
    12. Newspaper cutting PR
    13. Yellop family PR
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Project committee CP/PR
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Edward Martin MS
    2. Francis Young NC/MS
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting
Please remember to let PR/DR know if attending and take own refreshments.

Agenda for June meeting - 16th June 2015 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 8pm.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 19.5.15
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews (AB) GT
    2. Website- Peter West books etc. GT
    3. Audio Trail leaflets
    4. Tannington carriage ride MS/GT
    5. Palaeography course JC
    6. Suffolk Local History Group
    7. The Potter family MS
    8. Church display MS
    9. Old postcards MS
    10. Last of Old England link
    11. Preserving Place MS/MM
    12. Floral display NC
    13. Red Feather Club meeting
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Dig committee CP/MS
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Edward Martin MS
    2. Francis Young NC/MS
    3. Suffolk and Waterloo GT
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting
Please remember to let PR/DR know if attending and take own refreshments.

Agenda for May meeting - 19th May 2015 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 8pm.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 21.4.15
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews (AB/BG) GT/DR
    2. Website- Peter West books etc. GT
    3. Audio Trail leaflets MM
    4. Tannington carriage ride MS
    5. Palaeography course JC
    6. Suffolk Local History Group JC
    7. The Potter family MS
    8. Church display MS
    9. Old postcards MS/PR
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Dig committee CP/MS
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Edward Martin MS
    2. Francis Young NC/MS
    3. Red Feather Club
    4. Suffolk and Waterloo GT
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting - June 16th tbc
Please remember to let PR/DR know if attending and take own refreshments.

Agenda for April meeting - 21st April 2015 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 8pm.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 17.3.15
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews(AB/BG) GT/DR
    2. Website- Link to obituaries. GT/ PR/LWM
    3. Peter West books etc. GT
    4. Audio Trail LWM/MM
    5. Tannington carriage ride DR/GT
    6. Palaeography course JC
    7. Suffolk Local History Group JC
    8. The Potter family MS
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Dig committee CP
  6. Future talks/events
    1. Tom Williamson
    2. Francis Young
    3. Red Feather Club
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting

Agenda for March meeting - 17th March 2015 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 7.30.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 24.2.15
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews(AB/BG) GT/DR
    2. Website- Link to obituaries. GT/ PR/LWM
    3. Peter West books etc. GT
    4. Audio Trail MS
    5. Tannington carriage ride DR/GT
    6. Palaeography course JC
    7. Church records DR
    8. Suffolk Local History Group All
    9. The Potter family MS
  4. Treasurer's report JC
  5. Dig committee CP
  6. Future talks/events
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting

Please remember annual subs - £5


Agenda for February meeting - 24th February 2015 at Gissing Farmhouse, South Green, Hoxne at 7.30.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 20.1.15
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews GT
    2. Website- Link to obituaries. GT/ PR
    3. Peter West books etc. GT
    4. Audio Trail MS
    5. Tannington carriage ride DR/MM/GT
    6. Palaeography course JC
    7. Heritage church service MS/RG/JC
  4. Report of 'Wall'/Dig committee CP
  5. Treasurer's report JC
  6. Members' reports
  7. Future talks/events
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting

Agenda for January meeting - 20th January 2015 in the Swan PH.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 18.11.14
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews GT
    2. Website- Link to obituaries. CJ's article .Watermill. PR
    3. Listed buildings DR
    4. Peter West books etc. GT
    5. Audio Trail PR
    6. Tannington carriage ride MM
    7. Watermill article MS
    8. Preserving Place project MS/MM
    9. Christmas get-together
    10. Palaeography course JC
    11. Stradbroke website
  4. December talk MS
  5. Report of Rose Walk/wall reconnaissance CP
  6. Treasurer's report JC
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting

Agenda of the AGM of Hoxne Heritage Group 20th January 2015 at 19.30 at the Swan.

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of AGM 14.1.14
  3. Matters arising
  4. Chairperson's Report
  5. Treasurer's Report
  6. Election of officers
    1. Chairperson
    2. Secretary
    3. Treasurer
    4. Committee members

Agenda for November meeting - November 18th, 2014 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews GT
    2. Website- Link to obituaries. CJ's article. CJ/GT/PR
    3. Old House tour Symposium PR et al.
    4. Peter West meeting GT et al.
    5. Audio Trail PR
    6. Tannington carriage ride MM/GT
    7. Watermill article MS
    8. Preserving Place project MS
    9. WW1 display MS/GT/PR
    10. Christmas get-together
    11. Palaeography course JC
  4. December talk * MS * Raffle prizes required *
  5. Future dig/fieldwalking event CP
  6. Treasurer's report JC
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting

Agenda for October meeting - October 14th, 2014 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the last meeting 16.9.14
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews MM/GT
    2. Website-RP article,WW1 article, GT/PR
    3. Old House tour PR
    4. Peter West GT
    5. Audio Trail PR
    6. Display cases MS
    7. Tannington carriage ride MM/GT
    8. Watermill article MS
    9. Telephone box MS
    10. Preserving Place project MS
    11. Article for website CJ
  4. Future dig/fieldwalking event
  5. Treasurer's report JC
  6. Rememberance Day Service MS
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting

Agenda for September meeting - September 16th, 2014 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the August meeting
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews SM/GT
    2. Website-RP article,WW1 article,Mrs T's interview GT/PR
    3. Old House tour PR
    4. Peter West GT
    5. Audio Trail
    6. Display cases
    7. Bonediggers bequest MS
    8. Tannington carriage ride MM
    9. Watermill tour
  4. Future dig/fieldwalking event
  5. Treasurer's report JC
  6. Members' reports
  7. Any Other Business
  8. Time and date of next meeting

Agenda for August meeting - August 14th, 2014 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the July meeting
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews SM/GT
    2. Website-RP article,WW1 article,Mrs T's interview GT/PR
    3. Old House tour PR
    4. Peter West GT
    5. Audio Trail
    6. Display cases
    7. HLF funds MS
    8. Telephone box
  4. Latest dig
  5. Treasurer's report JC
  6. WW1 Commemoration MS
  7. Nick Ashton talk MS
  8. Bonediggers - bequest MS
  9. Members' reports
  10. Any Other Business
  11. Time and date of next meeting

Agenda for July meeting - July 7th, 2014 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the June meeting
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews SM/GT
    2. Website GT/PR
    3. Old House tour PR
    4. New dig SM
    5. Peter West GT
  4. All Our Stories MS
    1. Display cases
    2. Audio Trail
    3. Final report
  5. Treasurer's report JC
  6. WW1 Commemoration MS
  7. Future talks MS
  8. Telephone Box MS
  9. Members' reports
  10. Any Other Business
  11. Time and date of next meeting

Agenda for June meeting - June 10th, 2014 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the May meeting
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews SM/GT
    2. Website GT/PR
    3. Old House tour PR
    4. New dig SM
    5. Peter West GT
  4. All Our Stories MS
    1. Display cases
    2. Audio Trail
    3. Final report
  5. Treasurer's report JC
  6. WW1 Commemoration MS
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting

Agenda for May meeting - May 13th, 2014 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the April meeting
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews SM/GT
    2. Website
      1. Thatcher article PR/SM
      2. St. Edmund article GT
      3. Old House tour PR
  4. New dig project SM
  5. All Our Stories
    1. Finds, report, etc
    2. HistoryPin
    3. Audio Trail
  6. Treasurer's report JC
  7. Members' reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting - 10th June to be confirmed

Agenda for April meeting April 15th, 2014 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the March meeting
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews
    2. Website
      1. Thatcher article PR/SM
      2. St. Edmund article GT
      3. Old House tour
  4. Feedback re Matt Champion talk/future ideas
  5. New dig project SM
  6. All Our Stories
    1. Finds, report, mosaic etc
    2. HistoryPin PR
    3. Audio Trail LWM
  7. Treasurer's report JC
  8. Members reports
  9. Any Other Business
  10. Time and date of next meeting

Agenda for March meeting Mar. 11th, 2014 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the February meeting
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews that have taken place GT/SM
    2. Progress on the website PR/DR
      1. Spam
      2. Restricted areas
      3. Thatcher article PR/SM
      4. St. Edmund article GT
    3. Record Office - Midgeley papers MS/JC
    4. Old House tour CJ/PR
  4. Future talks - Matt Champion MS
  5. All Our Stories Community Dig Project
    1. Celebration meeting Feb 16th - Feedback
    2. Finds display, documents, film, discs MS
    3. Digital record, audio trail, etc LWM,PR,SM
    4. Equipment bought MS
    5. Unused monies MS
    6. Fieldwalking event MS
  6. Treasurer's report JC
  7. Members reports
  8. Any Other Business
  9. Time and date of next meeting

Agenda for February meeting Feb. 11th, 2014 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Minutes of the January meeting
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews that have taken place GT/SM/JC
    2. Progress on the website PR
      1. Thatcher article
      2. St. Edmund article
    3. Record Office JC
    4. Hall Microphone
    5. Old House tour CJ
    6. Spam on contact form DR
    7. Equipment bought
    8. Village Voice article GT
    9. Parish Council references
  4. Future talks - Matt Champion
  5. All Our Stories Community Dig Project
    1. Celebration meeting Feb 16th
    2. Finds display
    3. Digital record, audio trail, etc LWM,PR,SM
    4. Fieldwalking event
  6. Treasurer's report JC
  7. Members reports
  8. Any Other Business (Time and date of next meeting)

14th January 2014 Meeting Minutes.

Minutes of the meeting held on January 14th, 2014 in the Swan PH.

Those present - DR,PR,BD,MG,RG,CP,GT,JC,MS,DL,LWM,MM. JJ joined later.
LWM chaired the meeting.

  1. Apologies for absence - SM,MP,CJ.
  2. Minutes of the last meeting were accepted as correct.
  3. Matters arising:-
    1. Interviews - A.Burridge to be interviewed shortly. Interview for Mrs Thornett being edited. No news about G.Borrill as SM absent.
    2. Progress on the Website - AOS final report, James Govier article and Pipeworks(Brickworks) articles are all online. The thatching article and WW1 articles are still outstanding. GT to contact R.Pinner regarding her article. MS and JC reported receipt of Spam through Contact Form.
      Action GT/DR
    3. Record Office - JC still trying to contact relevant person.
      Action JC
    4. Brickworks site - it was suggested that Nick Jenkins should ask B. Goddard to see if he had any information about its working history.
      Action LWM - NJ
    5. Ceramics workshop -nthis was well - attended and enjoyed by all.
    6. Papers from C. Midgeley - The original documents about the excavation of St.Edmund's Chapel were passed to JC for listing.
      Action JC
    7. Hall microphone - MS had reminded J.Knights.
      Action MS
  4. Old houses tour - CJ was absent so deferred. It was suggested that we might ask John Walker to come and talk in the future.
    Action CJ
  5. Future Plans - agreed to put on hold until AOS project completed.
  6. All Our Stories project:-
    1. Celebration meeting - Feb.16th in SEH 2-4pm.This will include a talk by the archaeologists, displays of maps, finds, a demo by a SCCAS finds expert, a reel of photos of events in the village projected on the screen, artwork by the schoolchildren and a tea party. It was agreed to try to have the bar available but this would not be free of charge.
    2. Finds display - JJ,CJ,CP,MG and PR agreed to help sort the finds for display. MS to arrange a date.
      Action MS
    3. Digital record, audio trail - NJ making good progress. The second part of the walk to be arranged within the next 2 weeks.
      Action LWM
    4. Fieldwalking event - MS to ask HLF for completion date extension.
      Action MS
    5. Projector - it was agreed that he projector we had budgeted for should be purchased in case SM's was unavailable or broken when required.MM offered to investigate suitable equipment.
      Action MM
    6. Historypin - PR indicated that this would be the means to feedback the project. MS & PR will be attending a course on 25/1
  7. Treasurer's Report - as presented at AGM.It was agreed to change the name of main contact from GT to JC. The Declaration is filed.
    Action JC
  8. Members' reports and suggestions.
    1. MS reported that she had agreed to be the Village Recorder with a remit to record events and changes in the village today for tomorrow's historians and also to collect old documents etc .It was felt that at least the latter part of the remit overlapped with the aims of HHG. She requested that the role should be dovetailed into the HHG and requested access to HHG information, oral histories etc. This was agreed.
    2. JJ recommended the Masterpieces exhibition at UEA. Some other members who had been concurred.
    3. JC is working on the 1841 census.
    4. GT has submitted his article on WW1 to Village Voice.
    5. MG reported that he and CJ had found coins and musket balls near the Red Lion site. It is believed that this is the field we have earmarked for fieldwalking. MG agreed to bring the finds to the Celebration meeting.
      Action MG
    6. LWM/MM reported that they are working on editing the film taken at AOS events.
  9. Any Other Business:- MS reported that there were 2 references to HHG in the parish council minutes during the summer. One indicated that the dagger found at Heckfield Green would be given to the HHG to examine. The other was a reference to some boards in Debenham about old houses, but was not specific. An enquiry would be made to establish what had happened as no-one present was aware that HHG had been consulted.
    Action MS
  10. Date of Next Meeting. - Tuesday, Feb. 11th 2014 at 7.30pm in the Swan.

PLEASE NOTE: Annual Subscriptions of £5 are due now. Minutes and agendas will only be sent to paid-up members after next month's meeting.

Hoxne Heritage Group - Annual General Meeting Minutes 2014

The Second AGM took place on January 14th, 2014 in the Swan PH. Those present - DR,PR,BD,MG,RG,CP,GT,JC,MS,DL,LWM,MM.

  1. Apologies for absence - SM,MP,CJ,DC.
  2. Minutes of AGM Feb. 24th 2013 were accepted.
  3. Matters arising - it was noted that the item about the Treasurer's report had been resolved during the year.
  4. Chairman's Report - a report was tabled on behalf of 'rotating' chairman.This highlighted the main events and successes of the group throughout the year.The report was filed, with a minor amendment, as DR wished his name to be deleted from the plaudits.
  5. Treasurer's Report - JC tabled a financial statement and budget sheet which covered the period from when the last accounts were accepted and when she took over as treasurer. The report was accepted.
  6. Election of officers
    1. Chairperson - no volunteers came forward.It was agreed to continue with the rotation of chairperson.
    2. Secretary - MS nom. PR sec. LWM - elected unopposed.
    3. Treasurer - JC nom. MS sec.RG - elected unopposed
    4. Committee members - PR,CJ,SM voted in en bloc.
    Meeting concluded

    Agenda for January meeting Jan. 14th, 2014 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm - Note this will also be our AGM - see below for the agenda and last years AGM Minutes

    1. Apologies for absence
    2. Minutes of the November meeting
    3. Matters arising:-
      1. Interviews that have taken place GT/SM/JC
      2. Progress on the website PR
        1. Thatcher article
        2. St. Edmund article
        3. S. Govier
      3. Record Office JC
      4. Brick pit site JC
      5. Papers from Colin Midgeley MS
      6. Hall Microphone MS
      7. Old House tour CJ
    4. Future plans
    5. All Our Stories Community Dig Project MS
      1. Celebration meeting Feb 16th
      2. Finds display
      3. Digital record, audio trail, etc LWM,PR,SM
      4. Fieldwalking event
    6. Treasurer's report JC
    7. Members reports
    8. Any Other Business (Time and date of next meeting)

    Agenda of the AGM of Hoxne Heritage Group Jan. 14th, 2014.

    1. Apologies for absence
    2. Minutes of the last AGM
    3. Matters arising
    4. Chairman's Report
    5. Treasurer's Report
    6. Election of officers
      1. Chairperson
      2. Secretary
      3. Treasurer
      4. Committee members

    Hoxne Heritage Group - Annual General Meeting Minutes 2013

    The AGM took place on February 28th, 2013 in the Swan PH. 12 members were present - DC, EC, JJ, CJ, DL, LWM, MM, MS, SM, MP, PR, JC.

    1. Chairman's Report - a report highlighting the main events and successes of HHG during the first year, was tabled and a hard copy was filed.
    2. Treasurer's Report - unfortunately the Treasurer was unable to attend to clarify some anomalies that had been noted on the presented accounts. It was decided that the accounts could not be accepted and that the Treasurer would be asked to present a modified statement at the next meeting. It was agreed that annual subscriptions should coincide with the AGM.
    3. Election of officers
      1. Chairperson - CJ resigned and there were no volunteers to be substantive Chair. It was agreed that a 'rotating chair' would be trialled. CJ would remain as the 3rd signatory.
        Proposed LWM Seconded SM - Elected
      2. Secretary - Nominated MS
        Proposed PR Seconded SM - Elected
        (JJ offered to assist MS where she could)
      3. Treasurer - Nominated GT
        Proposed JJ Seconded PR - Elected
      4. Committee members - PR (n.MM s.MS),
        CJ (n.DL s JJ) and
        SM (n.MS s.CJ) - Elected
      Meeting closed and followed by a buffet.

      28th November 2013 Meeting Minutes.

      Minutes of the meeting held on November 28th, 2013 in the Swan PH.

      Those present - MS,CP,DR,PR (chair),DC,CJ,SM - RG joined later.

      1. Apologies for absence - DL,RG,JJ,MG,GT,MP.
      2. Minutes of the last meeting were accepted as correct.
      3. Matters arising:-
        1. Interviews - the interview with GB has not taken place due to work commitments. R.Pinner has interviewed Mrs Thornett. GT to interview A. Burridge imminently, and will also get a commentary from an evacuee shortly.
        2. Website - the E. Lawes interview has been posted as well as the preliminary Dig report. Some discussion took place about having a header on the website - possibly the plaque on the village hall?

          1. SPAB thatcher article - RG not present at this time. Defer.
          2. St.Edmund article - R.Pinner has agreed to write an article which will cover the evidence for and against the Hoxne association with the legend. It was decided to find out if any villagers had actually ignored the tradition and had crossed the bridge on the way to their wedding. Action SM/CJ
          3. S.Govier had sent some information and illustrations regarding his father for possible inclusion on the People section on the website. Action PR

        3. Record Office - Defer until JC present.(apologies, she was omitted from the circulation list of the agenda)
        4. Brick pit site - a site visit has been arranged for Sunday,Dec.8th at 10am. Anyone interested please meet at the site then.
        5. Ceramics workshop -nthis was well - attended and enjoyed by all.
        6. St. Edmund's Day - a number of people attended the event at the hall. The church service was reported to have been very good.The primary school produced a pageant , the choir sang and the brass band performed in an excellent celebration of St.Edmund in front of invited dignatories etc.
          The son of Norman Midgeley, one of those involved in the discovery of St. Edmund's Chapel on the Bungalow farm site, had contacted MS. He will be returning from the USA at Christmas and will bring some original papers etc regarding this to be safeguarded by HHG.
          CJ reported that he had discussed with archaeologists present at the hall about having a community team that could keep an eye on local activities. This might possibly enable a few volunteers to be covered by SCCAS insurance.
        7. Hall microphone - MS had reported to Jenny Knights that the hearing loop does not work reliably when using a handheld microphone. She requested that a lapel or radio mike should be bought and suggested that the Hall Committee should contact HHG if they needed help with funding.
      4. Future Talks - MS reported that Matt Champion, Director of the Norfolk Medieval Graffiti Project has been booked for March 25th evening.
        CJ suggested that Julia Padfield would be interested in taking a group around some of the old houses in Hoxne to point out important features. Meanwhile we need to make a list of properties whose owners would be prepared to allow access. Action CJ
        John Walker was also suggested.
      5. All Our Stories:-
        1. MS/PR attended the Ideas Bank Celebration event at Ickworth and reported back on the AOS projects that were presented.
          Details of new HLF grants were discussed.Some are available for up to £100k which could be used for buying a property to house a museum. Some options that could be suitable are the Old Butcher's shop, Manor Ho. Barn at Abbey Farm. The church and village hall might be suitable candidates. There are also small grants for up to £3k which could be used for extending the archaeological excavations e.g near the river, and others specifically for WW1 projects. It was agreed to revisit new projects after some deliberation.
        2. Finds, report etc - MS had sorted through the boxes and it was apparent that some artefacts were missing and that there had been some mixing-up into different test pit collections, possibly at the hall after the dig. A number of test pit owners had also taken their finds directly from the hall so we haven't even had chance to get a photo. It is hoped that some people will loan the artefacts for our celebration meeting. It was discussed how the finds would be displayed at the church ultimately as we had not budgeted for a display cabinet. If there is money left in the AOS budget at completion we could commission a case. The group were also very keen to display the artefacts found at the Swan actually in the pub. Again, a case would need to be sourced.
        3. Digital record, audio trail - the audio trail is now getting to be an urgent issue as NJ has quoted he will need 6 weeks to complete this. As MM and LWM have been unable to attend meetings lately we are unsure as to whether the map has been produced or not. NJ is ready to start but wants to walk the trail first but LWM is away in Germany and no-one else has contact details. Our aim is to launch the trail at the celebration meeting.
        4. Fieldwalking event - 16 people have signed up for Thursday and 20 for Saturday. Joining details have been circulated. Some members were concerned at the state of the field as it had not been harrowed.MS would speak to the SCCAS as they had only stipulated it should be ploughed. Action MS
        5. Celebration meeting - the group agreed that this will take place on Sunday, February 16th between 2-4 pm. There will be a short talk by the archaeologists, with displays of artefacts, maps etc, a demonstration of the website, launch of the audio trail, involvement of the schoolchildren - nature of activity tbc and a tea party.
      6. Treasurer's Report - see 3c
      7. Members' reports and suggestions.
        1. CJ had found an article in an old Inst.Archaeology journal regarding a scrivener's mark 'chalice' graffito in Hoxne church. It is sited on the last partial pillar on LHS. He had also circulated a piece of a medieval hornbook near South Green he had found when fieldwalking. It was unusual in that there was alphabet on one side and a religious text on the other.
        2. MS tabled a report obtained from SCCAS on the recent discovery of previously unknown C17th tombs found when excavating near the north wall when investigating damp problems.
        3. CP mentioned that the Church Conservation Trust needs a cleaner for Shimpling Church.
      8. Any Other Business:- none
      9. Date of Next Meeting. - Tuesday, Jan.14th 2014 at 7.30pm in the Swan.
        N.B. THE DAY HAS BEEN CHANGED AS A TRIAL AS THURSDAYS ARE DIFFICULT FOR SOME MEMBERS. THIS WILL ALSO BE THE AGM.
        N.B The Christmas Dinner will be at the Swan on Monday, Jan 6th 2014.


      Agenda for November meeting Nov. 28th, 2013 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

      1. Apologies for absence
      2. Minutes of the October meeting
      3. Matters arising:-
        1. Interviews that have taken place GT/SM/JC
        2. Progress on the website PR
          1. Thatcher article
          2. St. Edmund article
          3. S. Govier
        3. Record Office JC
        4. Brick pit site JC
        5. Ceramics worshop
        6. St. Edmund's Day
      4. Future talks
      5. All Our Stories Community Dig Project MS
        1. Feedback from Celebratory meeting MS,PR
        2. Finds report and disposal etc.
        3. Digital record, audio trail, pod cast etc LWM,PR,SM
        4. Fieldwalking event
        5. Celebration Meeting
      6. Treasurer's report JC
      7. Members reports
      8. Any Other Business (Time and date of next meeting)

      24th October 2013 Meeting Minutes.

      Minutes of the meeting held on October 24th, 2013 in the Swan PH.

      Those present - MP,MG,SM,JJ,RG,CP,PR,CJ(Chair),MS. David Rimmer and Bingy Hindle were welcomed as new members.

      1. Apologies for absence - LWM,MM,DL,JC,GT.
      2. Minutes of the September meeting were accepted as correct, other than the article by GT had not been posted yet.
      3. Matters arising:-
        1. Interviews - no further interviews ready todate. Graham Borrill is due to be interviewed on November 1st. Rebecca has interviewed Mrs Thornett but needs to return to complete. A.Burridge will be interviewed next month. Eric Lawes' interview is ready to be posted.
        2. Progress on the website - PR had acquired some new photos to post. It was agreed to have a main photo and use others to illustrate articles so as not to compete with Hoxne.net.
          Rebecca Pinney did her PhD thesis on St.Edmund and has offered to write an article for the website.This was welcomed by the group.
          RG offered an article from SPAB re GB,master thatcher.
        3. Timeline - it was agreed to drop this from the agenda and report as new information added.
        4. Record Office - defer until JC able to attend.
        5. Brick pit site - defer until GT/JC able to attend.
        6. Telephone numbers - a list was circulated for members to complete if in agreement.
        7. Ceramics workshop - CJ had circulated a date - 31/10 - for this to be held in St.Edmund's Hall. He had circulated the information to all who took part in the dig.
      4. British Museum - another excellent meeting with approximately 80 people present. A profit of over £200 was made. The video of the talk taken by MM has been posted on the website by PR. The hearing loop was ineffective because the microphone was not always held to the speaker's mouth.It was agreed to suggest to the Hall Committee that a lapel mike should be bought.

      5. Action MS
      6. All Our Stories Community Dig:-
        1. Feedback from UEA Support - MS had attended a workshop on engaging with schools where some interesting suggestions and information was acquired for future projects. The support team indicated that they are planning to seek further funding to extend some of the projects and stated that they would be keen to continue to work with our group.
        2. Finds report, disposal etc.- MS is gradually sorting out what needs to be kept. The school are keen to have the rest to create a mosaic or similar, possibly St.Edmund's crown, to commemorate the project.
        3. Digital record - NJ is keen to trace the trail before starting work in earnest.He requested some members to accompany him. PR will accompany LWM with him. PR indicated that some factual information is still required for parts of the trail.
        4. Fieldwalking event - Richard Jolly had agreed that we can walk the field opposite the Abbey. It was agreed to aim for Thursday Dec. 5th and Saturday Dec. 7th, SCCAS permitting.
        5. Celebration meeting - it was agreed to aim for a Sunday afternoon in February 2014. The format would include a talk from the SCCAS to explain how the project has improved our knowledge of the development of the village. It is hoped that the schoolchildren might be involved either in a puppet presentation or some creative work, the launch of the audio trail, a tea party etc - to be decided later.
      7. Future talks - it was reiterated that our remit is research rather than organising regular meetings but we did agree originally to hold 3 or 4 per year. Suggestions included witchmarks and Medieval Graffiti. SM.reported that Pat from WVAG was willing to take a small number of members on a graffiti training session.
        Action SM
      8. St.Edmund's Day - MS clarified that she had contacted HLF and SCCAS and had been reassured that the meeting being held by GM would not be revealing our results. The references to a dig in the village related to excavations some years ago. The celebration will include a church service in the evening of 20/11, a display at St.Edmund's Hall open to all and various events at the school.
      9. Treasurer's Report - a balance sheet was tabled in JC's absence. MS reported that the outgoing treasurer was concerned that there was an abstention, with no reason given, to accept his handover accounts and asked if this could be clarified in his absence. The abstaining member stated that he had not seen the revised account sheet, despite it being fully discussed at the August meeting when tabled and voted on. It had also been circulated by e-mail to all members beforehand.In the absence of the information being available at this meeting he refused to comment further.
      10. Members' reports and suggestions.
        1. 9 members of the HHG had attended the WVAG medieval graffiti day at Pulham St.Mary Church. MS pointed members to the Youtube presentations on medieval graffiti, particularly the one by Jerry Tovey which had some excellent examples.
        2. PR had heard back that the bronze? finger ring she found was probably not Roman.
      11. Any Other Business:- JJ suggested that we should have a Xmas celebration. It was agreed to have a Xmas meal on the evening of Jan 6th, 2014 at the Swan.
      12. Date of Next Meeting. - 28th November 2013 at 7.30pm in the Swan.


      Agenda for October meeting Oct. 24th, 2013 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

      1. Apologies for absence
      2. Minutes of the September meeting
      3. Matters arising:-
        1. Interviews that have taken place GT/SM/JC
        2. Progress on the website PR
        3. Timeline PR
        4. Record Office JC
        5. Brick pit site JC
        6. Telephone numbers
        7. Ceramics worshop CJ
      4. British Museum talk - feedback
      5. All Our Stories Community Dig Project MS
        1. Feedback from UEA support
        2. Finds report and disposal etc.
        3. Digital record, audio trail, pod cast etc LWM,PR,SM
        4. Fieldwalking event
        5. Celebration Meeting
      6. Future talks
      7. St. Edmund's Day - Nov. 20th
      8. Treasurer's report JC
      9. Members reports
      10. Any Other Business (Time and date of next meeting)

      12th September 2013 Meeting Minutes.

      Minutes of the meeting held on September 12th, 2013 in the Swan PH.

      Those present - SM,CJ,DC,RG,MP,LWM,MG,MS,MM.JC,DL,PR,JJ (chair).GT joined later.

      Chris Parkin was welcomed and introductions were made.

      1. Apologies for absence - EC.
      2. Minutes of the August meeting were accepted as a true record.
      3. Matters arising:-
        1. Interviews - Graham Borrill's interview had not taken place to date. Mrs Thornett was due to be interviewed later in the week. JC had contacted the Record Office and was awaiting a reply.
        2. Progress on the website - not much extra had been put on. A member of the HLF project support team from UEA had looked at the website and had expressed how impressed she was and found it very informative and easy to navigate around. PR was congratulated on her amazing efforts.
        3. British Museum talk - arrangements were discussed and all appears to be in hand. The poster would be sent to all members and circulated widely.
      4. All Our Stories Community Dig:-
        1. Feedback - still only 4 returns. We will need feedback for HLF re skills learnt, community cohesion etc. This could be addressed at the celebration meeting.
        2. Finds report and disposal - the finds analysis document was tabled for members to look at. Pit owners had been contacted and asked to indicate if they want their finds returned and to collect them from MS by the end of Sept. It will be assumed that the group can keep whatever is not collected. It is likely that there will be a lot of items that are not of historical or general interest that could be disposed of. However, it was agreed to ask the school if they could think of anything creative to do with them first.
          Action MS
        3. Digital record - the subcommittee had met with Nick Jenkins and agreed a sum of £500 for him to produce the trail in 6 weeks from start. The group needs to do some preparatory research beforehand. Edward Martin, Sara Poppy and Brian Chester have all agreed to take part in the interview slots. A map would be prepared.
          Action MM
        4. Fieldwalking event - GB had agreed for us to walk before he drills in early October. Andrew Banham had agreed that we could walk Clubb's Farm field in mid to late November, but was not keen to have metal detectors. The SCCAS team would be contacted to seek their opinion.
          Action MS
        5. Celebration meeting - the end of the project is officially March 2014. It was agreed to hold the meeting after Xmas - format to be decided later.
      5. Treasurer's Report - JC tabled her report which was accepted.
      6. Members' reports and suggestions.
        1. JC discussed some antiquarian issues about Hoxne in C18th and C19th.
        2. PR had been to the recent WVAG to hear Mike Webber speak about handling artefacts. She recommended him as a potential speaker for the future and has taken his details.
        3. PR had received an enquiry about John Roper, formerly the miller in Hoxne who went bankrupt and whose father had a mill in Marlingford.
        4. PR had found a ring and an old horseshoe when digging in her garden.Preliminary research indicated the ring might be Roman and the horseshoe Anglo-Saxon.She would ask SCCAS.
        5. SM suggested that we should take CJ up on his offer to show us how to identify post-medieval ceramics. The group indicated that they would like this and CJ agreed.
          Action CJ
        6. RG and CP had been to the WVAG medieval graffiti session and was totally 'bitten by the bug' and enthusiastic. MS indicated that she would be attending the medieval graffiti session at Norwich Cathedral with JC, DL on the following day.
        7. CJ is still progressing with inventories.
        8. SM suggested that we should approach WVAG to affiliate. MS indicated that they do post our information on their website and suggested that it would probably be better if members who were interested should join directly - the cost is only £10-20 p.a. Several HHG members were already WVAG members. The WVAG is extremely active with a very busy calendar.
        9. JJ noted that there was a lot of activity on the old brick pit site. It was agreed to contact the consortium to find out what was happening and to sound out if the group could visit the site.
          Action JC
        10. SM raised the issue of another dig in the near future. It was agreed that it would do no harm to start planning as long as this did not detract from completion of the AOS project. If we fail to deliver on the AOS project it would likely jeopardise any future lottery funding.CJ had ascertained that annual insurance cover would cost £173.
        11. GT reported that he had completed his research on the war memorial, which is now on the website and would appear in the Village Voice in due course.
        12. DC tabled a newsletter that he had prepared as Chair of the Friends of Hoxne Church.
      7. Any Other Business:-
        1. RG was asked if he could tell the group about interesting discoveries during his house extension. They had found a brick tunnel/arch and also a Victorian dress hidden in the roof space.
        2. It was suggested that telephone numbers of members should be kept in a central place e.g. with the secretary. Members were asked to send their tel. Numbers to MS and to indicate if they were willing for these to be shared with other members.
          Action ALL
      8. Date of Next Meeting.24th Oct at 7.30pm in the Swan.


      Agenda for September meeting Sept 12th, 2013 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

      1. Apologies for absence
      2. Minutes of the August meeting
      3. Matters arising:-
        1. Interviews that have taken place GT/SM
        2. Progress on the website PR
        3. Timeline PR
        4. British Museum talk - posters and arrangements SM/MM
      4. All Our Stories Community Dig Project MS
        1. Feedback from dig
        2. Finds report and disposal etc.
        3. Digital record, audio trail, pod cast etc LWM,PR,SM
        4. Fieldwalking event
        5. Celebration Meeting
      5. Treasurer's report JC
      6. Members reports
      7. Any Other Business (Time and date of next meeting Oct 10th, tbc)

      15th August 2013 Meeting Minutes.

      Minutes of the meeting held on August 15th, 2013 in the Swan PH.

      Those present - JC,MM,MG,CJ,SM,PR,DL,JJ,MP,DC,GT,MS

      Julie Craven was welcomed to the meeting.

      1. Apologies for absence - EC,LWM,RG.
      2. Minutes of the July meeting - approved as correct.
      3. Matters arising:-
        1. Interviews - Form for Alec had been received. Graham Borrill's interview has been rescheduled.
          Eric Lawes had been interviewed - needs approval. Mrs Greatbatch was thanked for providing the location and some wonderful refreshments to the group involved. JC suggested that SRO might be interested in our interviews.
          Action JC

        2. Progress on the website - photos of the dig and AJ interview had been uploaded onto the site.
        3. Timeline - no progress.
        4. Bitish Museum talk - posters are in hand and will be available for distribution in mid Sept.
      4. All Our Stories project
        1. Feedback from dig - very few returns. Need community evaluation feedback to HLF so probably have a comment book at the Celebration Meeting.
        2. Letter to Guy McGregor - has been sent. It is hoped that he will attend to discuss his plans.
        3. Digital record - a possible route for the trail was tabled. Further interesting snippets are required to beef it up. Information to SM,PR,LWM. A podcast was also discussed.
        4. Fieldwalking event - no positive response to date. Mr Ford is not ploughing the monument field this year. No response has been forthcoming from Mr. Havers or Mr. Mager. GT offered to contact Mr Havers. CJ suggested that Simon Pretty might be able to help.
          Action MS
          Two other possible people to approach are Graham Borrill and Richard Jolly.
      5. Treasurer post - after the last meeting GT tendered his resignation to allow himself more time for his WW1/2 research. The accounts were tabled and accepted by majority vote.
        JC was nominated for post of treasurer and was elected unopposed and unanimously.
        (A vote of thanks was given to GT on behalf of the group for his hard work since the group formed. This was done in writing after the meeting as it was overlooked due to a distraction during the meeting.)
      6. Members' reports - GT reported that he was preparing some work on deaths in village families associated with the Great War.
        DC initiated a discussion about Tommy Wells and also St Edmund's flag.
      7. Any Other Business - None
      8. Time and Date of Next Meeting - Sept 12th at 19.30 in Swan PH.

      Agenda for August meeting Aug 15th, 2013 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

      1. Apologies for absence
      2. Minutes of the July meeting
      3. Matters arising:-
        1. Interviews that have taken place - release form GT/SM
        2. Progress on the website PR
        3. Timeline PR
        4. British Museum talk - posters SM/MM
      4. All Our Stories Community Dig Project MS
        1. Feedback from dig
        2. Letter to Guy McGregor
        3. Digital record etc LWM,PR,SM
        4. Fieldwalking event
      5. Treasurer's resignation
      6. Members reports
      7. Any Other Business
      8. Time and date of next meeting - should be 12/9

      23rd July 2013 Meeting Minutes

      Minutes of the meeting held on July 23rd, 2013 in the Swan PH chaired by JJ.

      Those present - DL,MS,CJ,JJ,PR,SM,MP,LWM,MM,MG

      1. Apologies for absence - GT,ST,RG
        Mike Greatbatch was welcomed to the meeting.
      2. Minutes of the June meeting - approved as accurate, except the date was 2012
      3. Matters arising:-
        1. Release form required for AJ. This had been forwarded but another will be sent.
          GT had been to Essex to interview H. Chinery.
          Rebecca from UEA will be interviewing Mrs Thornett imminently.
          Other willing and interesting parties include Graham Borrill and Eric Lawes. SM will interview them.
          Action MS to SM
        2. No new progress on the website - other than updates on blog etc. regarding the dig. PR was congratulated on the superb job she has done.
        3. Timeline - No new progress.
        4. Roger Bland from the British Museum will be coming on Tuesday, October 1st to talk about the Hoard and its' importance. The hall is booked and it was decided to book the bar. The entrance fee will be £3.50 for non-members and £2.50 for members. MM offered to make a poster which MS will distribute around 9th Sept. SM to ask RB if he requires food beforehand.
          Action SM,MS,MM
      4. All Our Stories project
        1. Feedback from the dig - the weekend was thoroughly enjoyed by all. Pity that the Diss Express thought Hoxne was in S.Norfolk! (CJ interviewed by Radio Suffolk - no feedback). MS reported that 3 of HHG trowels were unaccounted for. It was generally thought that the archaeologists initial talk was a bit lack-lustre and also that the knowledge of some of the younger archaeologists was a bit lacking. The Finds lady was a bit overwhelmed at the end of the Sunday, not helped by Mike Hardy constantly chatting to her when she was trying to concentrate. There didn't seem to be set scheme of where to put new trays of finds, hence it all became a bit chaotic and mixed up. It will be important to give constructive and honest feedback to the archaeologists and to try to get a breakdown of the skill mix and staff costs for the weekend. MS reminded the group that the Conservation team had given some free staff time and that the SCCAS agreed to service 28 pits when we had only commissioned 24 originally.
          Action MS
          On day 1 it became apparent that the SCCAS team had been approached by Guy McGregor to hasten the report so he could use the results for a meeting he is proposing in November. It has been made very clear to SCCAS that HHG has commissioned this work and the results will be their property, at least until HHG has held the final celebration meeting. MS will contact Mr McGregor to ensure that he is well aware of this. He will also be invited to address the group about this proposed meeting, apparently to celebrate St.Edmund, if he wishes as it is very relevant to HHG.
          Action MS
        2. School involvement - MS informed the group that Duncan Allan had revisited the school to give feedback. Details are on the blog. It was essential to sort this before this meeting as some of the children involved will be moving schools next term. It is expected that the project budget will cover this (£100) but, if not, MS will pay for it. The school have given us the wall frieze that the children made after their dig. This can be posted in the church or hall in due course.
        3. Digital Record - a large amount of video footage relating to the dig is available. This will need to be edited in due course.
          Action LWM /MM
          The subcommittee of LWM, SM and PR will meet Nick Jenkins in the near future to discuss the audio trail and possibly doing short interviews with key people at some locations. MS reminded the group that one option will be to forget this part of the project if it gets too expensive or difficult and we offer that small amount of money ear-marked for this back to HLF.
          Action PR,LWM,SM
        4. Fieldwalking event - permission is currently being sought for three fields - Fairstead Farm, the monument field and the field behind the Baptist Chapel in Cross Street.
          Action DL
      5. Members reports -
        1. LWM reported that they had met some Australians in the village who were tracing their family roots believed to be in this area 600 years ago. It is possible that Brian Chester might have their contact details.
          Action LWM
        2. CJ suggested that we might hold another dig event at some time based on very specific locations e.g. the Swan, Rose Walk. This was agreed in principle but needs careful consideration. It will require funds, H&S and insurance considerations if SCCAS not involved. It was suggested that we complete this project first.
        3. MS had been given a copy of the pictorial Historical Atlas of Suffolk written by Edward Martin et al. when she enquired how to get hold of it, from SCCAS. This is an excellent reference book and she will endeavour to keep it in the 'Minutes Box' if members wish to see /use it. Several others in the group also have a copy.
        4. There was some disquiet amongst a couple of members that we still have not had an agreed copy of the accounts. The secretary was asked to write to the treasurer to ask for an up to date copy with a breakdown of the HLF budget. It was also requested that a brief summary should be presented at every meeting. The issue of renewal of subscriptions also arose.
          Action MS to GT
        5. Date of next meeting - August 15th 2013 at 7.30pm in the Swan.

        Agenda for July meeting July 23rd, 2013 in the Swan PH at 7.30pm

        1. Apologies for absence
        2. Minutes of the June meeting
        3. Matters arising:-
          1. Report on interviews that have taken place GT
          2. Progress on the website PR
          3. Timeline PR
          4. British Museum talk SM
        4. All Our Stories Community Dig Project MS
          1. Feedback from dig
          2. School involvement
          3. Digital record etc LWM,PR,SM
          4. Fieldwalking event
        5. Members reports
        6. Any Other Business
        7. Time and date of next meeting

        6th June 2013 Meeting Minutes

        Minutes of the meeting held on June 6th, 2013 in the Swan PH chaired by GT.

        Those present - JJ,DC,CJ,MP,SM,PR,GT,MS

        1. Apologies for absence - DL,EC,LWM,MM
        2. Minutes of the May meeting - correct except DL and not PR agreed to write about the hall.
        3. Matters arising:-
          1. Interviews - Rebecca Pinney has not been in contact yet. The 'localised' permission form needs to be circulated.
            Action DL
          2. Progress on the website - PR was congratulated on her report of the school dig.
          3. Timeline - deferred
          4. British Museum talk - Tues, October 1st. Hall provisionally booked.
        4. All Our Stories Community Dig project
          1. Meeting on June 18th - Mike Hardy to speak at 7pm. Hall open from 1830 to set up - as many volunteers as possible required. Refreshments (tea and coffee) between MH talk and SAU then wine etc during sign-up. Need to bring along a few pens.
            N.B. WE NEED TO HAVE A RECORD OF THIS MEETING - photos etc.
          2. Response from volunteers - good response - plenty of prime locations but not many diggers. Some offers to dig from non-villagers but we want this to have a village community focus. Wait until after 18th to see what we require and target aggressively as appropriate. CJ and SM had distributed further leaflets about the dig and posters advertising the meeting on June 18th.
          3. Digital Record - PR fed back regarding the meeting with Nick Jenkins - not overly positive. She questions whether the Heritage Walk is really what we want to trail on audio. She suggests we need to list the places to cover and possibly have a few short audio interviews at various locations. Decided to defer until after the dig. As there is such a poor signal for mobiles in the area we need to consider this option carefully.
            Action PR,LWM,SM
          4. The School Dig - very successful dig with artefacts dating back to C14th. It would complete the exercise to have Duncan Allan back at the school for a feedback meeting - this will cost £100. Agreed in principle but defer until next month.
            Action MS
            The report in the EADT was incorrect and quoted the wrong school. They will amend by doing a large cover of the main dig.
        5. Members' reports. - DC mentioned that he is now leading the Friends of the church and would welcome an opportunity to display the artefacts from the dig in the church. It was agreed that this would be reasonable after the celebration event, which will be the first public viewing of the finds. It was also discussed that we might consider trying to get a grant to display the articles already in the church in a more imaginative and professional manner. We have budgeted for a board for the church to display the Story of Hoxne project.
          CJ has nearly completed his probate research and is currently researching wills.
        6. Any Other Business - DC also mentioned the move to make St Edmund patron saint of England. MS had been interviewed by Radio Suffolk for the Mark Murphy show but it was felt that all members might like to sign the online petition. This can be found by Googling Government petitions and searching St Edmund.
          Action All
        7. Time and date of next meeting - defer until 18/6 to see what is required to do before the main dig.


        Agenda for June meeting June 6th , 2013 in the Swan PH at 8pm

        1. Apologies for absence
        2. Minutes of the May meeting
        3. Matters arising:-
          1. Report on interviews that have taken place GT
          2. Progress on the website PR
          3. Timeline PR
          4. British Museum talk SM
        4. All Our Stories Community Dig Project MS
          1. June 18th meeting MS
          2. Responses for volunteers MS
          3. Digital record etc LWM,PR,SM
          4. The School Dig LWM,MS
        5. Members reports
        6. Any Other Business
        7. Time and date of next meeting

        9th May 2013 Meeting Minutes

        Minutes of the meeting held on May 9th,2013 in the Swan PH chaired by SM.

        Those present:- DC,EC,MP,PR,MS,DL,GT,SM,CJ

        1. Apologies for absence - JJ,RG,LWM,MM
        2. Minutes of the April meeting - agreed as correct.Parish Council should be initialled as PC not PCC.
        3. Matters arising:-
          1. Interviews - a release form was submitted to be localised for the HHG.This will then be used for Alec Jolly to sign.
            Rebecca Pinner from UEA will be coming to repeat the interview with Mrs Thornett.
            Graham Borrill has agreed to be interviewed in due course.
            The Brian Goddard interview issue was deferred until LWM/MM present.
          2. Website - the Heritage Walk is now on the website.
            It is hoped that CJ will write an article about migration of workers from Hoxne.
            Action CJ
            Other suggestions included articles on traditions in the village(MS),the history of the village hall(PR) and the Home Guard and Local Defence Volunteers (GT).
          3. Timeline - the Hoxne section can now be separated from the national timeline by clicking.
            Members were asked to provide further input.
          4. Further talks - there had been no response from Mike Hardy re charges,A-V requirements etc for June 18th.
            Action CJ
          5. British Museum talk - there has been no response regarding further dates for a talk in the autumn.
            Action SM
        4. All Our Stories Community Dig Project:-
          1. June 18th meeting - it was decided to offer wine and soft drinks in addition to tea and coffee.The Hall will be available from 18.30pm for a 19.00pm start.Members were asked to turn up early to help if possible.
            CJ will introduce Mike Hardy, who will deliver a talk for 30-45 mins, followed by refreshments until 8pm.The SAU staff will give a brief outline of issues relating to the dig and answer questions.
            Volunteers will then fill in the relevant forms.
          2. There had been only 7 volunteer forms returned,although a number of other 'definitely interested' parties was known.It was agreed that we need a list of promises by June 2nd.
            A further leaflet drop would be circulated by SM and CJ.It is imperative that we get as many volunteers to the meeting on 18/6 although forms are available for those unable to attend. MS indicated that most of the locations known to date will require diggers.
            A number of amateur(?also professional) archaeologists from outwith the village have registered interest in helping.However,our main objective is to make this a community event.
          3. Digital Record - a subcommittee to liaise with Nicholas Jenkins over the trail was agreed.This will comprise LWM,MM,SM and PR.
          4. The School Dig - will take place on May 21st probably on the village green(tbc). It was agreed that a board should be displayed indicating that this is part of the AOS 'Story of Hoxne' dig.A banner from HLF has been ordered.
            It was suggested that we should borrow a gazebo,or similar,in case of wet weather. MS offered to ask Mr & Mrs Garnham.
            It was suggested that the media should be invited,subject to permission from the school. Action MS
        5. Members reports - CJ reported that Mick Procner had unearthed an iron dagger, probably early C16th, when replacing a tree near the school at Heckfield Green.It was hoped that this might be displayed at the church in due course.
          DC informed the group that the N.aisle in the church was to be refurbished soon.It would be a good opportunity to improve some of the displays.
        6. Any Other Business - MS highlighted some projects being undertaken by the Waveney Valley Archaeology Group and suggested that members should visit their website if interested.
          MS informed the group that Hoxne,in particular the brickworks,featured on BBC4's Secret History programme at the end of last week.There were some pretty views of Low Street.The programme is still available to view on i-player.
          It was noted that some kind of tunnel was discovered when an extension was being erected at Mary Baxter's old house.It was hoped that RG might be able to tell us more when he attends next.
          Action RG
        7. Date of next meeting - June 6th at 8pm in the Swan.